Moving into another lockdown - time to build new stuff. This time it's the website!
Here in NZ, we moved to another lockdown - thanks to the new Delta variant of the coronavirus. The past few months have been quite busy developing systems related to my research, and this lockdown has put the related user studies on hold. Now that I have some spare time, might as well rebuild the website - something that I have been postponing for years.
Since I started my blog five years ago, I've been using WordPress as my blogging platform. And although it did what it needed to do, it wasn't very flexible. It also started to feel a bit outdated. I felt the need to set up a new blogging software solution a couple of years back. With the lockdown, that opportunity has finally arrived.
A new solution
Being a Ph.D. student, I do a lot of software development. So rolling out my own software solution isn't a complicated deal for me. But from my experience in professional software development, I know that maintenance is more complex than the initial build. Therefore I opted to go for a solution that doesn't require any server-side code. No code means no server-side bugs. No server-side security risks. And thus less maintenance.
Couple of things I had on my wish list for the new blog:
- Clean design that looks beautiful on both desktop and mobile.
- The option to switch between light and dark themes.
- A way to organize posts - tags and series
- Fast loading time.
- Clean Typography.
- RSS feed
- Means to check the traffic to site
Website: Webhosting - going static with Netlify